Friday, October 2, 2009

Quick Takes - Volume 5

[7_quick_takes.jpg]

--- 1 ---

What a week! It's amazing what a few nights of sleep deprivation can do. Poor Baby, she's teething, and has a cold, and got her six-month shots. But poor Daddy and Mommy, too! A coffee cup got pushed across the table and onto the floor -- I was more upset about the waste of coffee than about the broken cup. I dumped the cheese powder packet into the boiling water with the macaroni. I got lost driving around town and was late for a doctor's appointment. I backed into a parked car leaving church (there wasn't anyone behind me when I parked there, why would there be an hour later?). I almost fell flat on my face carrying The Baby in her car seat bucket, but for the nice elderly woman who happened to be standing in my way and caught my fall! And that's just a glimpse at the fun we had this week.

All I have to say is, thank God for guardian angels, whose feast we celebrate today, because it could have been a lot worse! Really, none of the above was that tragic. No one got cut on the broken coffee cup. The cheese powder was fished out of the boiling water and still usable. I had a cell phone with me and was able to call the doctor's office to tell them I was running late. I barely bumped the car behind me -- there was no noticeable damage. And I didn't fall down or drop The Baby or knock the old woman down the stairs!

--- 2 ---

I have felt guilty for a while about The Boy's lack of reading skills. After all, his sisters started at four and three. But, people keep telling me, he's a boy, boys are different. And, you know, really, he wasn't ready. We have been much more consistent about reading every day since we started school this year -- last year, we were pretty hit and miss -- and I can finally say, about fifty-one lessons into 100 Easy Lessons, it's clicked. He understands how to put the sounds together to make a word. He understands that if he stops to talk between every word in the story, he doesn't have a clue what he's read. And he's finally feeling like he's reading. And he's proud of himself. And I'm proud of him.


--- 3 ---

So, remember the Gospel last weekend?
If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed than with two hands to go into Gehenna, into the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to sin, cut if off. It is better for you to enter into life crippled than with two feet to be thrown into Gehenna. And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. Better for you to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into Gehenna, where 'their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.'
In the car on the way home, my husband asked the kids what they thought of the Gospel reading. The Older Girl said, "It was spooky!" And the Younger Girl said, "Yeah, that should be the reading for Halloween!" LOL

A theological discussion ensued.

--- 4 ---

Ever since my favorite face moisturizer was discontinued, I don't know how many years ago, I haven't been able to find another one I like as well. Now that we're approaching the dry skin time of year again, I'm on the lookout. I like something light, not greasy, preferably with a little SPF. Any recommendations?

--- 5 ---

Most nights before bed, as we're tucking the kids in, we give them a blessing. We use the priestly blessing from Numbers 6:24-26.
May the LORD bless you and keep you! May He make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you! May the LORD look upon you kindly and grant you His peace!
My husband and I share the same blessing with one another before we go to bed. Sometimes the kids ask to give us a blessing. Sometimes they use the same words; sometimes they make up their own. The Boy wanted to give Daddy a blessing one night last week, but Daddy was busy working. (He's been doing that a lot lately ... we're going to finish the dissertation this year, we're going to, we're going to!) I told The Boy he could bless Daddy without Daddy being there. This was his precious blessing: "May God bless Daddy in the Lord. May God bless Daddy wherever he goes. May God bless Daddy here and there. May God bless Daddy even at school." (I love the hint of Dr. Seuss, his favorite author!)

--- 6 ---

Father gave me some things to think about during his homilies this week (I actually heard the homilies!). He told the story of St. Therese and how there was one particular sister that the other sisters thought Therese liked best because she always chose to sit next to her and spend time with her over others. It was discovered after St. Therese death, in examining her journal entries, that this was the sister she had the most difficult time getting along with. Father challenged us to go out of our comfort zone. And I must admit I am guilty of surrounding myself with like-minded people. I have so little time away from my family, that when I do find myself with some free time I want to spend it with people I like. I do also tend to avoid being with people who make life a bit more difficult. I have often heard it said that we should look for the best in others, but Father put a spin on this: He said to find the best in ourselves in these situations, to respond to people and situations we dislike and have difficulty with in a way that forces us to stretch ourselves, as opportunities for growth in holiness.

--- 7 ---

I had a rare opportunity to meet a friend at a nice Italian bar for a glass of wine tonight! Thanks, Anne, for the great conversation and a chance to escape the house for the first time Baby-free!

The girls are dancing at a local parish's fall festival tomorrow afternoon, and then the Older Girl is dancing at a private Scottish clan event of some sort and spending the night at a friend's, while the rest of us are having dinner at the home of some other dear friends and their five little ones. Our kids play so well together, it promises to be another enjoyable evening of friendship and conversation.

Whatever your plans this weekend, have a good one! And for more quick takes, visit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!