Saturday, August 15, 2009

Tranquillitas Ordinis - Part 1

Tranquillitas ordinis -- the tranquility of order -- is usually used in reference to just war theory. I use it to describe how I feel when there is a place for everything, and everything is in its place.

I mentioned last Tuesday how one can barely walk in my basement.




Note the teetering piles -- something falls every time I try to move around down there -- and the piece of plywood on the floor -- that is supposed to be where The Girls practice Irish dance (needless to say, they haven't been doing very much practicing lately).

Well, I am very proud to say that, as of today, one can now walk in half of my basement. I spent the WHOLE day unpacking boxes, repacking boxes (we'll likely be moving again in another year and it doesn't make sense to take it all out), putting things away, cleaning, organizing, throwing, and donating (and sweating and complaining).

I HATE (sorry, I do) moving. I am a person who thrives on order. To me, mess equals noise. I have enough noise with four kids. More noise makes it hard for me to think and hard for me to function. Really. I've been avoiding the basement for months.

I decided the basement must be dealt with before school starts again. It is beyond frustrating trying to locate what I need down there. And so ...


Note the clear practice floor (and mirrors even!) And the dryer actually has a flat surface!

It's not the nice finished basement I'm used to. And it's nowhere anyone would want to spend any time. But at least there is order.

And, in that, I find great JOY!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah!! I am happy that you found some time to organize. I'm sure you feel much better!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!