"God made us for joy. God is joy, and the joy of living reflects the original joy that God felt in creating us." (St. John Paul the Great)

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Timothy Nunn, Rest in Peace

Today I attended the funeral of Timothy Nunn, a fourteen-year-old boy, the son of one of my former teachers.  I had only met him once when he was small.  He was in apparently good health and died unexpectedly while on a Boy Scout trip in New Mexico.  As the pastor said in his sermon, "This isn't the way it's supposed to be."  As a parent, I cannot imagine the pain of burying a child.

I was very impressed with descriptions of this young man.  In particular, one of his Boy Scout leaders eulogized that Timmy embodied the Boy Scout oath and law.  I grew up with two brothers in scouting and was familiar with its tenets, but I have never given them much thought.

The Boy Scout Law: A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

The Boy Scout Oath: On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

I would love to raise a son that people would describe as embodying the above, and I congratulate the Nunns on a job well done.  I pray for consolation for Timmy's family and friends during this time of sorrow, and for eternal rest for Timmy.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.  And let perpetual light shine upon him.  May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!