Monday, January 18, 2010

My Daybook - January 18, 2010

For Today... Monday, January 18, 2010 - Martin Luther King Day

Outside my window... it's dark, twenty-six degrees, and foggy. The January thaw is upon us.

I am thinking... about how tired I am.

I am thankful for... an evening with my son. Friday night Daddy and The Girls were gone, so I asked The Boy what he wanted to do. He wanted to watch a movie and eat a TV dinner (I don't know why he likes these, I think they look disgusting, but I digress...). He picked out a Veggie Tales video (Gideon, Tuba Warrior) from the library. We played this Memory game and Mancala while The Baby was finishing her dinner. After we put her to bed, we had root beer floats while watching the movie. Trusting God has been a big theme in my life as of late. And do you know what the lesson of this movie was? "If we're doing what God asks us to do, He'll meet all our needs. If we're doing what God asks us to do, we can trust Him with the outcome." Hmmm.... Good choice, Son.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart. And do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do. And he will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6
From the school room... We're finishing up the second quarter already! The Girls chose their third quarter language arts study: Shiloh. I'm not at all familiar with this one.

From the kitchen... I made a scrumptious ham dinner last night -- spiral cut ham with glaze, cheesy potatoes, green beans, apple sauce, and cinnamon buns. We enjoyed the leftovers today.

I am wearing... black warm-up pants, a T-shirt, and a gray fleece hoody from Old Navy that I bought in the boys department on clearance about ten years ago!

I am creating ... plans for our Little Flowers meeting tomorrow.

I am going... to go to bed.

I am reading... I finished O Pioneers! last night. Yes, it only took me a week. I think I'll wait until Shiloh gets here later this week before I start anything else. Has anybody read any good fiction lately?

I am hoping... that The Boy doesn't give his drippy nose and cough to anyone else in the family. Here we go again!

I am hearing... the space heater under my desk.

Around the house... most of the Christmas decorations are down. I left out a few pretty winter things though. The house always seems so bare after taking the decorations down, and less cozy and warm without the tree and its pretty lights.

One of my favorite things... When the kids decide on their own to be extra loving and kind. My DH has been missing dinners lately because he's working late on his dissertation. Last Tuesday evening I told the kids that Daddy would be home for supper. They immediately started planning what they could do to make the evening special. The Boy and The Younger Girl made him cards, thanking him for all his hard work. The Older Girl made sure the kitchen was spotless -- "because that's usually Daddy's job after dinner, and he won't have to do it." They had a glass of water all ready for him when he arrived, because they know he gets thirsty on his walk home. So sweet. Saturday morning The Girls decided on their own to clean the schoolroom, including my desk, for me, because they saw that my chore list for the day was much longer than their own. Thank you, God, for small blessings.

A few plans for the rest of the week: Nothing out of the ordinary: tin whistle lessons, Little Flowers meeting, dance classes. It is a week of birthdays though: my brother-in-law on Wednesday (the BIG 30!), a goddaughter on Thursday, and my mother-in-law on Friday. Happy birthday all!

Some picture-thoughts I am sharing: The Girls went with Daddy to a Little Flowers Father-Daughter dance on Friday night. They loved dinner at the malt shop, their pretty rose wrist corsages, the face painting, the treats, the limbo, the chicken dance, and, especially, a whole night with Daddy!

For more daybooks, visit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!