Monday, February 1, 2010

My Daybook - February 1, 2010

For Today... Monday, February 1, 2010

Outside my window... winter is back. We had our January thaw, and now it's fifteen degrees again with a light snow falling, the kind that leaves everything glittering.

I am hearing... the space heater purring under my desk, keeping my footsies toasty, and the dishwasher running in the kitchen. All the kiddos are in bed and my DH is at an evening of recollection.

I am thinking... about pillows. I have been feeling out of whack in the morning lately and am thinking our ancient pillows are to blame. But how does one go about choosing a good pillow? There are so many to decide from. I've even been to hotels with "pillow menus." What do you recommend?

I am praying... for my DH. Lord, grant him perseverance and peace in his writing and teaching commitments this semester.

I am thankful for... this post and the support of other Catholic blogging moms.

From the school room... Shiloh, Dr. Seuss, subject and verb agreement, stories of Aaron and Balaam, Candlemas coloring, addition and subtraction with exchanges, first declension Latin endings, map drawing, the earth's rotation, Raphael, and mummies. Whew!

From the kitchen... chicken divan leftovers from my mom -- thanks, Mom!

I am wearing... jeans, a green long sleeve tee, black socks with froggies on them, and my slippers.

I am creating ... a plan to let go of all expectations and just survive, cheerfully (read, "without yelling at my children too much"), until the dissertation is completed.

Pondering these words ... from St. Francis de Sales (thank you, Jessica, for bringing them back to my attention):
Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset.
I am going... to get my haircut tomorrow night! This is very exciting Mommy alone time -- my sister-in-law is my stylist, and my best friend and I are going together.

I am reading... The Professor's House, another Willa Cather novel.

I am hoping... my nephew can wait until after February 9 to make his entrance into the world, so my sister-in-law can attend a memorial service for her grandfather.

Around the house... I unclogged a bathroom sink over the weekend. And I can't stand the kitchen flooring in this rental house -- no matter how often you wash it, it ALWAYS looks dirty and disgusting.

Noticing that ... our season of birthdays is about to begin: DH on the 10th, Oldest Girl on the 26th, Baby on the 28th, Younger Girl on March 11, and Boy on April 1. We can never give up sweets for Lent around here, because most of the birthdays are celebrated during this time!

One of my favorite things... snuggling with my DH after not seeing each other all day.

A few plans for the rest of the week: Little Flowers and haircut tomorrow, dance on Wednesday and Thursday, Blue Knights on Saturday.

Some picture-thoughts: I finally learned about King Boreas and Vulcanus Rex and the St. Paul Winter Carnival legend. We took the kids to the History Center yesterday for the last day of the carnival. They made crowns and scepters and we attended a puppet show that explained the above legend.




For more daybooks, visit here.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. Love the format, the simplicity. Is it a meme that anyone can join?

    I'm jealous of your glistening snow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!