Monday, September 7, 2009

My Daybook - Labor Day 2009, Back to School

For Today... Monday, September 7, 2009, Labor Day

Outside my window... it is still 75 degrees and the sun is going down. It felt more like a it's-still-summer-go-to-the-beach kind of a day than a it's-September-tomorrow-school-starts kind of a day.

I am thinking... about how fast the summer went, about how The Baby is already six months old, about how soon we will be celebrating the end of graduate school and looking for a job again, about how quickly life can change. I am wondering what we will be doing next year at this time. Will the dissertation really be defended and the PhD completed? Will we be moving again? Where?

I am thankful for... the fall and the cooler temperatures and the return of the school year and a routine and rhythm to our days.

From the school room... last years school books are finally put away and the desks are filled with empty notebooks and folders, ready for filling.

From the kitchen... chicken fajitas and corn-on-the-cob from the farmer's market. Tomorrow we're making blueberry cheesecake for Our Lady's birthday.

I am wearing... cargo pants, flip-flops, and a lavendar tank top.

I am creating... lesson plans for the first two weeks of school.

I am going... crazy -- so much to do, so little time! I am also going to get a bowl of chocolate peanut butter ice cream when I'm done with this!

I am reading... Witness to Hope. I've started this biography of Pope John Paul II at least twice and I am determined to finish it this time. I am currently reading about the first years after his ordination and marveling at what a wonderful young priest he was.

I am hoping... to get through this first week of school without having a breakdown. I am hoping my dear hubby can do the same. I am also hoping we can manage to go camping at least once this year!

I am hearing... the dishwasher. And The Boy ... still not in the shower.

Around the house... everything is finally in its place, with the exception of my desk. I hope to clear that off before heading to bed. Or maybe not.

One of my favorite things... sitting out on the porch with an early morning cup of coffee before the kids are up, or in the evening after they're in bed with a glass of wine, enjoying my dear husband's company without interruptions.

A few plans for the rest of the week: Start our school year and our new fall schedule. I think that's enough!

Here is a picture-thought I am sharing...


Last year at Ocean Beach, California
I hate starting the school year feeling like I need a vacation! Keep us in your prayers, please!

For more daybooks, visit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!