Monday, September 21, 2009

My Daybook - September 21, 2009

For Today... Monday, September 21, 2009, The Feast of Saint Matthew

Outside my window... it is seventy, cloudy, and dark. It still feels more like summer than September in Minnesota. I shouldn't complain because winter's cold will be here soon enough. But I do so like the fall.

I am thinking... about September 21, 1996. I was with my husband (then a college seminary friend) in Florence, Italy. We were studying in Rome for the semester and had traveled to Florence for a long weekend. We each had a backpack full of our stuff for the trip. It was necessary to padlock our zippers together to keep friendly fingers from snatching our passports or money or whatever else valuable we had to travel with. As we were standing in line to visit one of the art museums, Matthew noticed that he had inadvertently changed the combination on his padlock and had no idea what the new combination was, and thus he could not get into his backpack without cutting it open. We said a prayer to Saint Matthew, who's feast day it was, he gave the numbers a spin, and ... it opened! Thank you, Saint Matthew!

I am thankful for... our dear friend, Father Paul. He was able to join us last minute this evening for dinner. And he brought a bottle of wine to share, too.

From the school room... Thanks to Jamie and Sarah, religion class is going much better. We are doing the Faith and Life series one day (instead of all five), The Great Adventure for Kids Bible Study one day a week, the Baltimore Catechism one day, and Feast Day/Saints stories and activities wherever they fit. The kids are enjoying the variety, and I'm not hearing as many complaints.

From the kitchen... I tried a great new lasagna recipe from my Italian Cooking Encyclopedia. It will be the one I make regularly -- layers of noodles, bolognese, bechamel, and parmesan. Mediterranean salad and garlic bread were our sides. And, since it was my husband's feast day, I made a pecan pie and served it with vanilla ice cream. We feasted tonight!

I am wearing... jeans, an olive-colored T-shirt, and flip-flops.

I am going... to bed as soon as I post this.

I am reading... In the Presence of Our Lord: The History, Theology, and Psychology of Eucharistic Devotion.

I am hoping... the weather is nice for my sister-in-laws wedding this weekend. The reception will be held outside.

I am hearing... my husband cleaning up the kitchen (he insisted that I blog instead of help him) and the girls finishing their snacks after dance and heading off to the shower.

Around the house... My desk STILL needs to be cleared off.

One of my favorite things... giving The Baby a bath and watching her try to catch streams of water that I pour onto her belly.

A few plans for the rest of the week: It seems like each week is the same in this category: get our schoolwork done, get my job work done, get the laundry done, feed everyone three meals a day, keep the house picked up. This week we're throwing in finding clothes to wear to the wedding on Saturday and helping set up for the reception. (BTW, what do you wear to a wedding after Labor Day when it's still hot out? I feel weird putting the girls in their Easter dresses and white shoes, but if it doesn't cool down, they're going to roast in their fall dresses.)

Here is a picture-thought I am sharing...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Michelangelo_Caravaggio_040.jpg

Okay, it's not really a picture, it's a painting: Caravaggio's The Calling of Saint Matthew.

Have a good week! For more daybooks, visit here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm glad your new religion class is working much better!!

    Love what you are wearing....wish jeans fit me right now....I did get my biggest pair of capri's on the other day, they are jean material....I'm wearing them right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture! I like anything art though.

    What a hubby you have! I never blog when family is home. I get the guilts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!