Thursday, April 22, 2010

It's Official

Some of you have heard the news. Some of you know of the possibility. Some of you have been praying for us. Some of you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Well ... one of the reasons I've been especially busy since the end of March involves a big decision that we had to make. And now it's been made. The contract has been signed.


My DH has accepted an offer to help start a brand new Catholic Studies program at the University of Mary.


Yes, we are moving to Bismarck, North Dakota at the beginning of July.

This is bittersweet for me. I love Saint Paul. I grew up here in the Twin Cities and have lived here for most of my life. My DH also grew up here. Our families are here. We have many, many dear friends here. We live in a great neighborhood and belong to a great parish. I love my doctor. It will be hard to leave. I am sad.

After the job was offered, knowing my skepticism, my DH wisely packed the family up and took us to visit Bismarck. While I admit I was not impressed by the city itself, I met some wonderful people in our three days there, including the President of the University and the Vice President for Academic Affairs, who sent me these beautiful flowers for Easter.


The kids had a wonderful time on our trip and are excited about the move. We got to visit a farm. The Girls got to watch the milking and see newborn calves (less than three hours old) and ride in a pick-up truck and see deer and pheasant. The Boy was happy to stay in the yard and play with other boys! (They want us to buy a farm!)

We toured campus.


We toured the Cathedral.

I ate the best. deer steak. ever!

The Diocese of Bismarck is in the Province of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis and, since I work for the Appellate Tribunal for the Archdiocese, I have had occasion to meet the priests and other staff members of the Bismarck Tribunal, so we went to visit Fr. Chad, one of those priests. One of the highlights of the kids' trip was riding his Harley!


A graduate myself, Catholic Studies programs are near and dear to my heart. I know this move is going to be hard for me, but I am excited to be involved in this new endeavor. I remember the positive influence wives of my Catholic Studies professors had on me, and I hope to be able to do the same. I am also excited to be entering a phase in life where my husband will no longer be a student (once the dissertation is completed and defended). And I am excited for stability for a change (once we're settled).

Please say a few prayers for us. Pray that we will find the house where we can best live our new mission in Bismarck. Pray for my DH as he works frantically to finish the school year, finish the dissertation, and begin his new job. Pray that the kids' adjustment will go smoothly. Pray that I don't go crazy. Pray for peace for our family as we begin our new adventure.

Thanks much!

7 comments:

  1. Will be thinking of you all ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad to hear you'll be leaving.:( So happy that Matt has received a wonderful opportunity for all of you!:) You'll all be missed. I haven't told the girls...they will be so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God has certainly been emphasizing the whole "transition" theme with you for an extended period of time hasn't he! :) I guess he wants to be sure that you won't fall into a sense that you have your life routines "all figured out" and develop some imaginary sense of confidence in your own resourcefulness and sufficiency.

    I couldn't be happier to hear about this wonderful endeavor that Matt will be undertaking developing a Catholic Studies program. You will be an asset in tne lives of all that you touch there. Your love of Christ and the reflection you are of his humility and grace will be a benefit to the intelligent and talented young women there who may long for the direction, wisdom and encouragement that your daily example as well as good words will provide.

    Thank you so much for sending me a link to your blog by e-mail or I would have missed this very exciting time. Be assured of my regular prayers. God's richest blessings on all 6 of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! And also know that I can certainly relate to the mix of feelings to such a development. As much as this is an exciting new adventure for you and yours, it also involves the bottom dropping out of life as you know. Our experience of the past year doing our version of this has been, well, hard. But with love and prayer and thankfully-endless grace we are getting through it, and I know you will, too!

    Will you keep doing Tribunal stuff once you land? I may be the guy in New Ulm far sooner than I had planned...

    And since it has been a while: what a darling family you two have! You will all be in our prayers; take care!

    Aldean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, congrats Michelle! The challenges you face ahead will be met with courage, love and humor! You'll meet so many new people and find a new path for you all. We'll miss seeing you at Tina's, though... glad I can follow you with this blog! We'll have to sneak in another wine and cheese night on Tina's patio before July. (o:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!