"God made us for joy. God is joy, and the joy of living reflects the original joy that God felt in creating us." (St. John Paul the Great)

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Marital JOY

Friday night found my husband and I minus three of our four children -- a rarity, indeed.  The Girls had been invited to a sleepover, and The Boy was at his grandparents.  My husband and I took the opportunity to spend a very nice evening together.  We shared some drinks and appetizers and, most enjoyably, some uninterrupted conversation, at a great restaurant on the St. Croix River.  We sat outside and enjoyed a beautiful summer evening.  After dinner, we went to my in-laws, who live out of the Cities a ways.  We sat around a campfire, roasted hot dogs, and stayed up past 11:00!  (We are early-to-bed, early-to-rise people.)  My in-laws left us alone.  The Baby was in bed (she slept ten hours in a row!).  We slept in the camper.  Saturday morning, my mother-in-law set her china out on the deck and served my husband and I breakfast.  She kept The Boy and The Baby in the house.  We spent a couple of hours out on the deck sipping our coffee and enjoying the fresh air and the sounds of the birds.

I have often been reminded that one of the best things you can give your children is a happy, healthy marriage.  And, Lord knows, the more children a couple is blessed with, the harder it is for that couple to carve out some time for themselves.  But it is soooooo necessary.  My husband and I can tell when it's been too long since we were able to enjoy ourselves and our marriage.  It is only with the generosity of people like my in-laws that we are able to get away as often as we are.  Thank you Grandpa and Grandma for watching the kids!  Thank you for providing a Bed and Breakfast experience for us!  We love you!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Michelle! So true ... I am glad you and Matt enjoyed such a wonderful date!! Yeah! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!